Glen L. Martin Dorsal Gun Turret
The Glenn L. Martin Company built dorsal gun turrets with an electrical system manufactured by the General Electric Company. More than 50,000 turrets were produced between 1942 and 1950 at a rate of 1,100 units per month at Martin plants in Baltimore, Omaha and St. Louis.
This dorsal turret was mounted on the top deck of the Martin B-26 Marauder medium bomber. Similar turrets were also used on more than twenty other bomber, patrol, trainer and attack aircraft including the Consolidated B-24 Liberator and Douglas A-20 Havoc.
The turret was designed for two M2, 50 caliber machine guns with a firing rate of 600 to 700 rounds per minute per barrel and operated on 28-volts dc power. The N6 optical gun sight was used to aim the machine guns. Each turret weighed approximately 940 pounds which included 800 rounds of ammunition and all associated equipment.
Turret azimuth and elevation traverse speeds varied from zero to 20 degrees per second using the normal speed switch, or as high as 45 degrees per second in azimuth and 30 degrees per second in elevation using the high speed switch.
Restoration completed by: Col Ed Lucas of the Commemorative Air Force’s Old Dominion Squadron.
Turret Sponsor: Magnetics and Controllers, Inc., Rosemont, New Jersey.